Does Any Soul Have Cause


Another weed ripped up from the stone base. Dirt scattered all around, smacking her in the face like shrapnel. Ascending the hill, a young man swung books from his carrier back and forth as he walked.

“You there! Old woman!” He smiled as he stopped, his eyes going upward on the statue with suddenly faded joy.

The crone did not turn, nor stand to her feet. “What do you want?”

“...What are you doing?”

Her shaggy, tangled gray tresses shifted as she looked up at her task. “What does it look like I'm doing?” she snapped.

“You are cleaning...this statue? This statue is--” he broke off. Clearing his throat, he uttered, “Does any soul have cause to attend this shrine? You could tend to the ones closer to the temple.”

“...'Does any soul have cause'...Do I 'have cause'?” The old woman's voice sounded as if she was spitting when she used the phrase. She planted both hands into the earth, finally turning to set upon the visitor with cold blue eyes.

“Yes, I have cause! If I am the only one, I have cause!”

She turned her back again, the younger of the two craning his neck with an expression of blank shock at her actions.

“No one cleans this statue. It's small and easy to attend but no one...” She paused to grunt with the effort as she pulled another plant, its roots grown deep. “...And they spit on it as they walk up. Like you. They throw their trash, they even throw things to stain it. Like it's some sort of game.”

The visitor looked to his path ahead, anxious to escape. “I wish you well on your charge, old one.”

But she didn't hear him. She was muttering to herself more than anything. The visitor continued up the hill to the columned building at its summit.

As he reached the entrance, he yelled, “Greetings! I wish to pay tribute to the Goddess today!”

“Welcome. And I hope those books mean that you aim to do more than pray for success,” Gohan walked down the steps, a friendly grin on his lips.

“My Lord Firstborn!” the young man exclaimed, going on one knee to bow. “I did not expect to be greeted by you, Holy Lord!! May the Grace and Power of the Divine continue to bless me!!”

“The temple keepers are eating lunch,” Gohan, ignoring the overtures, calmly guided the man back to his feet. “Come, the altar is this way.”

The two walked into the expanse of the marble hall, where the shrine awaited. Her stance swayed, as if in the winds of the waves depicted around her. The carved contour of her hand was outstretched, palms upward and containing the cosmos. The visitor clasped his hands, and went down on both knees.

“Mother Goddess Bulma, Wife to the Throne and Keeper of the Seas, Wisdom and Knowledge Infinite, Please guide my mind this day and every day forward.”

Gohan edged closer as the young man ended his prayer. “Examinations?”

“Yes Lord Firstborn,” the visitor sighed, holding up his books. “I wish to join the military as a intelligence consort.”

“Those who report directly to the Chikyuu-jin Council? The tests are extremely difficult.”

“Which is why I hope the Mother Goddess will help me in my studies,” The young man said, smiling.

“Perhaps you could seek help here. We have the best facilities available here on the Western Quadrant.” Gohan beamed, eagerly looking over his books.

“Yes, of course! I will find tutors in the next few days. Surely My Lord Firstborn knows of them...Although I wonder what interest you would have in such people. Intellectuals are not made for battle and glory.”

“...Of course not,” Gohan looked away. The visitor bowed deeply.

“With your blessing, My Lord, I take my leave.”

Gohan nodded, eyes still averted.

The visitor turned as he neared the temple steps. “There was an old woman, My Lord, that I saw cleaning the statue of Satan the Deceiver.”

Gohan's gaze returned to the young man. “...Was there?”

“I don't know why anyone would bother with that. The only reason it's even standing is because it was removed from the Southern Quadrant and put here. But still...” The young man bowed again, and walked away.

Gohan's eyes looked old and weary. He turned and walked into the shadows of the Altar of Knowledge.