Ballads

“So let's review together, everyone. Master Avari, tell us about the Arjunsei-jin.”

A tiny boy with orange skin stood from his chair.

“The Arjunsei-jin are a space-faring race whose evolution predates the birth of our sun. Their skin is olive-green, and their eyes are large and built for nocturnal activity. This is because the Arjunsei-jin were once cave-dwellers.”

“Very good. Mistress Jenkonovich, when did the Arjunsei-jin establish their civilization?”

“Around 20 A.D.” Another softer voice. “Soon after they experienced a series of civil wars. Finally, one of the tribes took power and bred the others out of existence. Once technology was bestowed upon them by traveling merchants in exchange for rich Arjunian soil, the Arjunsei-jin began their expeditions into outer space—as well as their aggression towards other planets.”

“And this is how they amassed their wealth and massive armadas, correct? Master Jacobs?”

“Yes. The Arjun Menace became known to all of the universe, and after the Passing of Our Divine One into the Realm of Dragons, they set their sights to take Chikyuu. Our defenses and weapons were no match for their warships, and they were poised to invade Chikyuu and bring doom to us all.”

“Exactly. And then what happened?” The tutor paused, then smiled at the anxious faces around her. “Anyone can answer this one.”

A smattering of voices, ringing with exuberance.

“His Holy Lord Son Gohan, Firstborn of the Divine, raised his head and cut through the ships as a sword does through water!!”

“The Children of the Divine One became glorious lions and devoured the enemy with golden light!!”

“With their Earthly Attendants they purified the sky. And the Arjunsei-jin withdrew in wake of their pursuit.” The tutor finished. “After ten long months the Scourge were all but dead. People everywhere rejoiced.”

A soft chime sounded in the chamber, the open-roof square that was used for lessons when the weather was nice enough. The tutor looked around, flustered.

“Ah, lessons are over for today. Students, do not forget your assignments,” She was already talking above the clamor of chairs sliding on tile. “Let us conclude with prayer.”

“Our Divine One, the Son of Light, Lord of the Dragon Realm, great Protector, Guide me and keep me from my enemies, grant me the power to recognize my standing and work towards my full measure.”

“May Our Divine bless you,” The students chimed together.

Teacher and pupils bowed to each other, than the noise began once more as the children moved from the square.

“Something so recent, to already have a ballad and prayer...” Bra turned from her balcony overlooking the courtyard.

“Part of the entire ballad,” her servant, a slim dark-haired girl much younger than her charge, set a snifter of wine beside her. “The rest of it features My Lady and Her Lord Brother rather prominently.”

“Do tell.” came the bored reply. “At least they didn't bother with the whole thing at the wedding ceremony. That business went on too long as it was: A three-day affair.”

“People are still legally celebrating Lord Trunks and Lady Pan taking their vows. Your Lord Brother declared it a holiday three days ago.”

“I wonder how he is doing, after all of that is finally over.” Bra walked towards the opposing end of the balcony, touching the Laurel tree leaves overhead.

“My Lady Goddess can ask for herself,” the servant quipped, smiling. “Lord Trunks, Son of the Throne, will be coming here to West Castle to visit his Lady Sister. Two days from today...”

The servant's words trailed off as Bra turned to look at her askance.

“My Lady, I was just informed about this--”

“Tell him that I await his arrival.” Bra turned away again.

“Yes, My Lady Goddess.”

“And Hana?”

“...Yes, My Lady?”

“Just because someone of distant acquaintance to my family spat you out into this world doesn't mean you will be treated any certain way.” Her words were paper-thin, razor-sharp. “I advise you to keep jubilance separate from duty.”

“Yes, My Lady Goddess,” Hana replied, voice soft.

A pause. Then, “You may take your leave of me for the day. And entertain yourself how you see fit.”

Hana looked up from the floor. Bra looked as if she was unclenching her teeth, and her lips morphed into a small smile. “You may use my wardrobe, transport, and study for the evening. Keep your guests to a few.”

“My Lady Goddess blesses me,” Hana grinned and bowed.

Bra looked down at her chair. “Hana?” She picked up a small envelope. “Where did this come from?”

Hana's eyes widened. “I...I didn't see that one before. My Lady has no other messages save what I've already given.”

Bra arched a brow, then nodded. “You may go.”

Hana bowed and whisked around the corner gate. Bra looked after her, pulling the package open until a tiny shred of paper fell to her feet. Turning her attention quickly down, she picked the scrap off the floor. A baffled frown cascaded down her face at the paper that read

05T77