A Visitor

She descended into the caverns, not admiring the opulent formations of rock and water around her like she did normally. Today wasn't a day to dwell on scenery. She took a nearby torch in hand, lighting it with a burst of ki from her hand, and walked the slick and jagged stairs further into darkness.

Pan didn't realize how far she had walked until she had reached the clearing. The only sound she heard at first was the drip-drop of underwater springs onto the ground beneath her, but then as she held her torch in front of her, she felt the rustling of cape before she even saw it.

“I don't know why you keep coming here, kid,” the gruff voice echoed in the high limestone ceilings.

Not responding to the offhanded question, she set her torchlight in between two stalagmites and walked forward, her steps careful and quiet.

“Just like your father. Stubborn.” Piccolo shook his head.

Pan turned away as her face contorted in helpless fury. “And if he knew they were keeping you here like this...he would find Trunks and Yamucha and tear out their lying tongues.”

Piccolo grunted, the enchanted chains around his hands and feet emitting a malevolent glow.

“You're not as stupid as that new husband of yours thinks you are,” he said. “But you know why you must not say anything about me.”

“I know.”

“As long as I languish here in obscurity...” His shackles rattled as he gestured to the cave around him. “...My people will be safe from harm.”

“Even though no one knows where they are...nor where the Kaio-shin moved Namek-sei.” The sight of Pan's dejected face finally softened the Green Devil's voice.

“It was the terms of the agreement that put me here. This way, Trunks and the others get to be gods in thought; and the Kaio get to be gods in fact.”

“Why didn't you just leave? Like Vegeta and Bulma did?” Pan asked.

“Because this is my home,” he answered.

Pan looked away, making a noise of assent.

“Not that it is any of my business...and I don't judge people and their decisions--”

“You want to know why I married Trunks.” Pan cut him off.

Piccolo pressed his lips shut.

“I thought I could make him change,” Pan's chest emptied, her voice hollow. “Make him see that all his actions have only made us feared, not safer. But...he's just so far gone. He keeps ratcheting up fear that the Arjunsei-jin will attack again.”

At the mention of the Arjunsei-jin, Piccolo's eyes narrowed in anger.

“I hate this life, this constant worship...every thing I do being observed. I hate being so separated from people. So isolated. But it doesn't affect him at all.”

Piccolo crossed his arms the best he could with his chains. “Trunks is trying to be what he thinks his father wanted him to become. And either through strength or blood, he had control over everyone around him. Except one.”

“He never had control over my father,” Pan whispered, realization dawning on her face.

“Now he does.” Piccolo stared at her intently.

Shaking away her guilt-ridden expression, Pan flashed a hardened glance at the imprisoned Namekian. “What's done is done. We can't just wait for Grandpa to come back before we try and stop what Trunks and the others are doing. You say there are others among the Kaio that feel the same way we do?”

He nodded. “And from what my other visitors tell me, there are people throughout the galaxy who would like to see Yamucha and Trunks fail. You come here for my advice, Pan? Stay close to Trunks. Find his supporters and detractors. Talk to him about his everyday dealings. And avoid Yamucha whenever you can.”

Pan nodded in return. She was picking up her torchlight when she stopped and turned.

“You have 'other visitors'?”

“...A few, here and there.” Piccolo said evasively.

“How did they find this place? How did anyone know you were here?” Pan asked.

“I'll tell you that when you tell me how is it that you found me, kid.”

She looked at the Namekian askance, a small grin on her face at Piccolo's familiar affectation. She pulled a hood over her head, and walked back out into the caverns without a word of goodbye.