Like A Virus

“Was the trip back unpleasant?”

Yamucha shook his head, taking his seat across from Trunks in the expansive office.

“I see you're not in the mood for small talk, so I'll start. I've already started the interrogations at West Castle.”

Yamucha examined his nails, nonchalant. “What have you found?”

“While no one has come forward, we have narrowed down the list of persons of interest to less than 15. This...movement...is more wide-spread than we thought.”

“Things like this always start with a few and then spread like a virus,” Yamucha spoke as he looked out to the cityscape. “What worries me is how easily they got the information from Arjun in the first place. Internal databases showed no signs of compromise.”

“And what worries me, Yamucha, is that you told me the insurgency and the leaks would stop after the wedding.” Trunks said, frowning.

“Trunks, public dissidence off Chikyuu has decreased drastically. Even the Serulians and the Farolians are on board now.”

“I was prepared to challenge them and their accusations. I was prepared for a lot of things,” Trunks began pacing in front of Yamucha. “Being pressured into a politically-motivated marriage was not one of them. This was your idea.”

“...Pan needed to be brought back into the fold. Neither the Council nor foreign dignitaries will challenge the words of any Son family member. You wanted an end to discord—I simply thought we could do it without bribes and without our fists.”

“Hmh,” Trunks poured two glasses of water at his desk.

“How is married life treating you, by the way?”

“What do I look like, a child molester?” Trunks asked, his voice harsh.

“She's not a child anymore, Trunks,” Yamucha admonished. “She's well old enough.”

“She doesn't seem to be enjoying her new life...anymore than I am.” Trunks said as he plopped down behind his desk.

“...Well, we tried to set up Bra and Goten, but...that didn't go over so well. With either of them.” Yamucha remarked dryly.

“All of this discussion does not address the problem at hand,” Trunks set down his glass. “What more have you found off of Arjunsei's moons?”

“Nothing new of note, just more garbled signals.”

Trunks exhaled in frustration. Yamucha stood, finally taking his glass.

“Trunks, this is why we need to capitalize on you and Pan as soon as possible!” he whispered with urgency.

“'Capitalize'? She won't have anything to do with me...and even if she did, I couldn't possibly...” Trunks made a face of disgust.

“Just close your eyes and pretend she one of your mistresses. Just do it.”

Yamucha circled the desk to stand beside the younger man.

“The joining of the two Families. A child of the Throne and the Divine,” Yamucha leaned into Trunks' ear. “That baby will be the true Return...So even if he really does comes back, it won't matter.”

Trunks, bemused, turned to look at Yamucha.

“...This has been your Endgame all along, hasn't it?” he grinned slowly, eyes narrowed into slits. “I'm impressed. Now I know what my mother saw in you.”

Yamucha afforded his charge a tiny smile in response. It faded quickly, as the older man turned his eyes back to the world outside.